What is the Core Curriculum?
The Texas Core Curriculum (TCC) is a 42 Semester Credit Hour (SCH) core curriculum for all undergraduate students in Texas public higher education. Students gain foundational knowledge of human cultures and the physical and natural world, develop principles of personal and social responsibility, and advance intellectual and practical skills that are essential for all learning and life.
Teaching the Texas Core Curriculum Objectives
Each core curriculum course must include either three or four, out of six Core Objectives. These introduce and reinforce skills and knowledge deemed essential to success during college and after graduation. Click the links below to connect with resources for faculty teaching core course.
- Communication Skills (COM) – Effective development, interpretation and expression of ideas through written, oral and visual communication
- Teamwork (TW) – Ability to consider different points of view and to work effectively with others to support a shared purpose or goal
- Personal Responsibility (PR) – Ability to connect choices, actions and consequences to ethical decision-making
- Social Responsibility (SR) – Intercultural competence, knowledge of civic responsibility, and the ability to engage effectively in regional, national, and global communities
- Critical Thinking Skills (CT) – Creative thinking, innovation, inquiry, and analysis, evaluation and synthesis of information
- Empirical and Quantitative Skills (EQS) – Manipulation and analysis of numerical data or observable facts resulting in informed conclusions
Using the Resources
The Core Curriculum resources offer flexible choices to add relevant information and lessons into your core course. Faculty are welcome to use and adapt resources to meet their teaching needs.
- Online modules for easy student review
- SCORM modules for use in Blackboard Learn. New to SCORM? follow the steps to add a SCORM Learning Object to your Blackboard Content Area here.
- PowerPoint Slides for use in class
- Assignment ideas and templates
- Other pedagogical resources
Assessing the Core Curriculum
UTSA assess student learning attainment for each of the TCC core objectives.
Visit the UTSA Core Curriculum Assessment page
View the THECB PowerPoint, Assessing the Texas Core Curriculum. Characterization and Comparison