Want to increase student engagement in writing assignments? Interested in getting more peer feedback? Try adding digital elements to your writing assignments. Technology enhances pedagogy in a variety of ways including adding interactivity to a lecture, creating spaces for group work, and expanding student capacity for creativity and research. Whether you are teaching face-to-face or online, innovative tools help students learn, improve teaching effectiveness, and even create efficient excellence. To use it well requires purposeful implementation and careful planning. Here are some suggested technologies to explore and resources to help you adapt them to your instructional style.
Adobe Creative Cloud
Adobe Creative Cloud is a set of applications that are used to create or edit websites, videos, animation, photographs, and much more.
- For a list of available software and FAQ’s, click here.
- To access the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, use your email address at the Adobe Sign In page which then will redirect you to a UTSA sign in page where you will sign in with your UTSA network ID (abc123) and your network passphrase.
- To get ideas for how to use our Adobe Creative license in the classroom read Adobe Creative Cloud Across the Curriculum: A Guide for Students and Teachers – Todd Taylor, Professor of English at UNC Chapel Hill and click here for more.
Microsoft – Sway
Microsoft Sway is a software already included in your Microsoft Office Suite. It offers many of the same storytelling and digital features in an easy to use format.
- For more on how to create in Sway, click here.
- To access the Sway, sign in with your UTSA network ID (abc123) and your network passphrase.
- To get inspired on how to use our Sway, click here.
Teaching a large group and want to get them engaged? This tool integrates with BlackBoard, so taking attendance in a large class just got easier and giving graded in-class quizzes. iClicker is the official UTSA vendor for student response systems (SRS). Students can purchase a clicker or download the app.
- Learn More about iClicker
- iClicker Cheat Sheet
- Get Started with iClickers
- Module for Using iClickers
Lecture Capture and Video Conferencing
Ready to flip your class? Want to record lectures for students to view later? The MEDIALecture function from the UTSA Medial Library is available to do just that. Visit Learning Technologies for resources and training for this, and all your classroom technology needs here. For help with other lecture capture and video conferencing services head here.
Ready to teach online?
Online Learning works with faculty to develop online and hybrid courses. They offer workshops and trainings as well as consultations. Learn more here.
SoftChalk allows you to take your online course materials to the next level by creating media-rich content and interactive learning activities. Learn more here.
SafeAssign is a tool within Blackboard that allows instructors to review assignment submissions for plagiarism potential and create opportunities to help students identify how to properly attribute sources rather than paraphrase.
SafeAssign compares submitted assignments against a set of academic papers to identify areas of overlap between the submitted assignment and existing works.
For information on how to View and Interpret SafeAssign Reports, click here.
For information on this and other assignment Tools, click here.
Keeping up with Digital Storytelling – ALA.org
Regardless of what technology you use, always remember to tie it back to learning outcomes, and consider accessibility and accommodation options for students who may need them.
Still not sure what to do? SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION